Monday, August 24, 2015

Cream of Carrot Soup




Since the weather today feels a little bit more like the middle of October than the end of August, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to make soup! Cream of carrot soup has been one of my favorites since I first made it in a cooking class in college. I have been craving carrot soup for the last few weeks and it completely lived up to my expectations. While making it I also decided it was fairly frugal considering it makes a fair amount and it is healthier and tastier than canned soups. I decided to share my version of the recipe and the price breakdown. 

Cream of Carrot Soup

- 2lb Carrots
- 1 Potato
- 1 Onion
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Cream (I use 18%)
- Salt and Pepper

There aren't a ton of directions to follow since this soup is really easy and pretty hard to mess up. First peel and chop the veggies, they can be in chunks about 1/2 inch. Melt the butter in your pot over medium heat. Add vegetables, chicken broth and some salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stir occasionally.



 Once the time is up, make sure the vegetables are soft and then let it cool off. Should look like the photo below. 



Next, blend the soup. If you're lucky, you have an immersion blender, if you're like me you will do it in batches in the single portion blender which is all you own... 



Next add cream, it can be more or less than half a cup depending on your preference, then add more salt and pepper to taste. 



Warm it back up on low and serve. My batch made about 1.5 liters, or four big bowlfuls.  Here was the price breakdown:

Carrots              $1.50
Potato               $0.10
Onion                $0.10
Chicken Broth     $0.75
Butter               $0.40
Cream               $0.50
Recipe Total        $3.35


In this case it may technically be cheaper to buy a few cans of soup at the store for less than $1 each (do they even make cream of carrot in a can??) but this delicious, homemade version is sure to leave you more satisfied, with less preservatives and a lot more vitamins, for a very decent price! Enjoy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment